Area of origin: Siberia to Manchuria.
Adult Dimensions: Height up to 3m (9.8'), width up to 2m (6.6').
Soil Type: Dislikes lime.
Hardiness: Hardy to -34°C.
Exposure: Full sun.
Properties and uses:
The young bright red branches are very decorative in winter. Creamy white flowers in May and June. This beautiful shrub is equally stunning whether planted alone or within a mixed hedge, the fruits are white blue.
List of Cornus:
• Bloodtwig Dogwood (Cornus sanguinea), off white blossom in May - June, red stems in winter.
• Chinese Dogwood (Cornus kousa), small white flowers in May - June, red foliage in the autumn.
• Chinese 'Satomi' Dogwood (Cornus kousa 'Satomi'), remarkable pink blossom in May-June, Its foliage takes on beautiful red tints in the autumn.
• Cornelian Cherry Dogwood (Cornus mas), early bright yellow blossom in February - March, high nectar producing, edible bright red berries in summer.
• Flowering Dogwood (Cornus florida), superb star shaped blossom at the beginning of spring, red foliage in the autumn.
• Japanese Cornel Dogwood (Cornus officinalis), yellow blossom, abundant and scented as early as February, edible berries.
• Wedding Cake Tree (Cornus Controversa Variegata), Magnificent variegated green and off white foliage that will take a red tint in the autumn. It has a spreading shape and an extremely sculptural aspect. Abundant blossom from May to June.