Height at maturity: 3 to 5 m (9.8 to 16.4').
Interest: All year.
Planting distance: Every metre.
Pruning: The species used are benefited by hard cutting back which encourages bushier and healthier growth.
The "country hedge" is integral to the countryside. It provides nourishment to the wild animals and birds, it helps to slow the wind and protects against cold in the winter.
Find each plant's specification:
• Blackthorn (Prunus spinosa), white blossom in April
• Bloodtwig Dogwood (Cornus sanguinea), red stems in winter, extremely decorative
• Cherry Plum (Prunus cerasifera), white blossom in March-April
• Common Hazel (Corylus avellana)
• Common Prive (Ligustrum vulgare), scented white blossom in June-July
• European Spindle Tree (Euonymus europaeus), small white flowers in May-June, bright red foliage in the autumn, decorative berries in winter
• Glossy Buckthorn (Rhamnus frangula), bushy shape
• Guelder-Rose (Viburnum opulus), white blossom from April through to to June, followed by brigh red berries, red foliage in the autumn
Other ideas for hedges:
• Flowering Hedge 'Emma'
• Flowering Hedge 'Julie'
• Gourmand Hedge 'Ophélie'
• Wind Break Hedge